Thousands of children live in Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia’s homeless and domestic violence shelters. One of the most devastating consequences of homelessness is the impact it has on a child's education. Homeless children are more likely to have behavioral issues which ultimately may lead to higher dropout rates. These children need school supplies and supportive services for the upcoming school year. You can help!
There are several ways to help:
- Your donation can help prepare a homeless child for school.
- A Gift of $25 may purchase a backpack filled with school supplies.
- A Gift of $50 may purchase a uniform and a backpack filled with school supplies.
- A Gift of $100 may purchase new shoes, a uniform and a backpack filled with supplies.
- A Gift $200 may purchase lunch, new shoes, a uniform and a backpack filled with supplies.
- A Gift of $250 may purchase a haircut, lunch, new shoes, a uniform and a backpack filled with supplies.
- A Gift of $1000 may purchase hygiene products, a haircut, lunch, new shoes, a uniform and a backpack filled with supplies.
Host a Drive
A drive is a wonderful way to come together as a team to make a difference in the community. To host a drive, contact James Wynn at jwynn@VOAches.org or 240.764.2660.
Click here to sign up for OneCause, and support Volunteers of America Chesapeake's cause. Then use our online Amazon wishlist to purchase the school supplies you'd like to contribute. When you shop through OneCause, a portion of your purchase will support our cause. (Please include your name and address, or email us, so that we can thank you!) Have supplies sent to your office if you're hosting a drive, or directly to us:
Volunteers of America Chesapeake
Attn: James Wynn
7901 Annapolis Road
Lanham, MD 20706
Drop Off School Supplies
Drop off new backpacks or new school supplies at any time at our office. Just use the grade-specific shopping lists for the much needed supplies.
Follow us on Twitter: @VOAChesapeake #OperationBackpack2013